Monday, March 14, 2011

Kovalchuk, and the arrival of Lemaire

So when I saw this:


I thought to myself: "Yeah, you're pretty damn clever milking the CBA. Especially with that deal for that sort of player". I understand the economics of the NHL do not allow every team to front load a deal to the extent that the Devils did. But if you can get an elite player like Kovalchuk, who is arguably worth Crosby/Heatley money on the open market, you do it.

I thought with the struggles Rolston had last year and with Parise being injured early on, along with a Coach who tried to "Tame" Kovalchuk (as if he was a bloody domesticated animal) were a perfect storm of how a team can collapse.

Fast forward 4 months, here we are discussing how the Devils are in the Playoff hunt. I actually called this, but I am going to lose a 100 dollar bet to a friend that consisted of me being such a Kovalchuk fanboy that I thought he'd hit a PPG average by the end of the season.

Yeah yeah, I picked the wrong bet. He would have taken "NJD making the playoffs" as a bet too, so yeah. Sometimes I get ahead of myself, ANYWAYS here's my proof that I called this well before Jersey was in the hunt:

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?p=30971825#post30971825

Yes, I am "DregerFan". I'm a big fan, Darren Dreger. Way to give me props for buying stock in your Hockey Insider skills WAY WAY before anyone else gave you a chance. That's right Bob McKenzie, I predicted depreciation of your "Inside" skills upon the arrival of D^2.

So, things have changed. Why did I think things would change? Simple, upon Lemaire coming in, he had the respect of his players. This is the same coach for whom Kovalchuk was disappointed didn't return for the beginning of the 2010-11 season. To show his commitment to Lemaire's style of hockey, which does nothing but produce wins and deep playoff runs, he started to play.

Now, I am an imaginative person, I make no qualms about it. But after the first 5-6 games and being comfortable in Lemaire's system, I believe Kovalchuk voiced his opinion to the locker room. I am paraphrasing, but I want to believe he said:

"Boys, we're going to the 'chip"

While the team might not have necessarily cheered loudly and emphatically, I do believe that Elias echoed Kovalchuk's words and Lemaire gave them something to play for. There is no better motivator for hockey coaches than Jacques Lemaire, he's seen and done it all. He knows what it takes to win, and these guys know it. Look at how Rolston's been playing too. This is clearly a locker room that believes it can not only make the playoffs, but win the championship if they make it to the playoffs.

Here's my vote, get it done Kovalchuk. There will be no greater underdog story in Hockey History if your Devils make it to the playoffs, and there will be no greater fable to regale young sports fans when we talk about the 10-30 devils making it to the playoffs, and winning Lord STanley under a leader who's heart was always questioned.

No comments:

Post a Comment